Kali Linux is an open source project that is maintained and funded by Offensive Security, a provider of world-class information security training and penetration testing services. Refer to the link for more information.
In order to prepare a Kali template for use in CONS3RT, a few tweaks are necessary:
1. Set as an “Ubuntu (64-Bit)” VM
1. Follow these instructions when installing vmware tools: http://docs.kali.org/general-use/install-vmware-tools-kali-guest
1. In “/etc/lsb-release” change:
- DISTRIBID=Kali to DISTRIBID=Ubuntu
- DISTRIBDESCRIPTION=“Kali GNU/Linux 2.0” to DISTRIBDESCRIPTION=“Ubuntu"
1. Execute the following -
ln -s /etc/dhcp /etc/dhcp3
apt-get install xinetd
and a vnc server (tigervnc-server should work)PasswordAuthentication Yes` in /etc/ssh/ssh_config
1. Run template builder and continue template build as usual